Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tomokazu Japanese Restaurant

I usually stop here in here once every 2 or 3 months for their AYCE lunch which I think is a great value at $11. Add about $4 for the unlimited sashimi (yes, there is no limit) and you'll have your fill of unlimited sushi for about $18 after tax and tip.

Tomokazu is one of my favorite places for AYCE cause I think the pricing is of great value (although I've only been there for lunch and late night) and the quality is decent too. The place is really close to the giant Toys R Us sign so it's hard to miss. Parking is all over the streets on Broadway but they have their own little underground parking lot which I think you still have to pay for anyway. This place also goes by the name of Ninkazu... I don't know why the owner doesn't update their business cards but probably cause no one bothers to take one.

I really like the openness and the decor of this place. At the end, they have their Japanese style booths and their own little rock garden. However, I don't like their washrooms or at least the way to get there. Plus, you've gotta get through two doors to leave so you have to save that paper towel and since they don't have waste cans nearby, you leave it by their gas tanks on the way back to your table.
They have a pretty good selection of food and the sashimi has always been fresh for me. I'm normally a fan of salmon only but I think the tuna here is even better than the salmon. Granted, like any other AYCE joint, they won't bring you everything that you list down, but they do get the majority of it. The food comes at a relatively quick pace with enough spacing in between for us the finish our previous plates. Concerning food, my only big complaint is the lack of dessert since it's just hard jello but I do like the fresh oranges they also have available (listed as fresh fruit). Overall, food is pretty solid but not out of this world.

I know AYCE isn't for everyone and expectations usually aren't high but this is one of the few I really like (the other is E-Bei on Granville but I haven't been there for years.). For what it's worth, I can tell you that I think Fish on Rice and Kawawa sushi are not very good AYCE joints.

My fondest memory of this place has to be when I came with a group of friends after late night studying at SFU and one guy had a little too much to eat too quickly. He said he needed to #2 and then stood up. After 5 seconds, he said "oh, it went away" and then sat down and continued eating. Maybe there's something alluring about Tomokazu's food that makes you just want to keep on eating... or maybe it's because their washrooms are gross and that you'd rather go home to do your business.


Tomokazu Japanese Restaurant
201 - 1128 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6H1G5
Tel: (604) 677-0434

No comments:

Post a Comment