Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Favorito Pasta Trattoria


Located near the busy intersection of Cambie and Broadway (and across from Sportmart as you can probably tell) is this quaint little pasta place that I was first introduced to by my boss. It didn't look spectacular on the outside nor the inside, but the food itself is pretty good!

Inside is kind of dark and I don't really like sitting beside the windows since they are so many passerbys. I think this is a mom and pop joint since the only server/host is a sullen, Italian (I'm pretty sure) man who I've seen every time I've come. Bearing that in mind, service isn't expected to be the greatest but since it's never overly busy, the wait times are bearable.

I've only been for lunch so I'm not sure about their dinner menu but at least 95% of their pastas are $12 or less and they do have a wide selection of pasta. I also must say that the past dishes are quite large but not Anton's large but the quality is much better. (For the record, I think Anton's is only about portions and nothing more)

Once you've ordered, you're treated to a basket of fresh, crispy bread with some butter. The butter comes in a relatively big ceramic cup which leads me to believe that it's probably been re-used and the bottom portion is nasty. However, I can't complain about free, hot bread.

Scallops ~ $10.95 - mushrooms and scallions in a cream sauce. This is probably my second favorite dish here. My friend really liked it and since she's a tiny girl, she was only able to finish about half of it.

Salmone affumicato ~ $10.95 - pink smoked BC salmon sauce. I had this and it's my most favorite dish here. There's a lot of salmon and overall just tastes great. It's unfortunate that I tried this one first because once I find a dish that I like, I tend to stick with it. I like the penne style of pasta but you can pick whatever type you prefer.

Bolognese ~ $10.95 - tomato sauce with lean beef and fresh herbs. My friend had this and said it was only okay relative to the other dishes she's had here. Other than the two listed above, others that I like include the favorito chicken and the cajun chicken. I've attached a picture of one half of the pasta menu for your reference. The other side has a few more pastas like carbonara and also includes the liked of stuffed pastas and lasagna.

I think this is a great place to grab lunch and go for a casual dinner with friends and family. It's comfortable, quiet and cozy but probably not a special, romantic kind of place but good for the first date =p



Favorito Pasta Trattoria
552 West Broadway St.
Vancouver, BC V5Z1E9
Tel: (604) 876-3534

1 comment: