Thursday, December 3, 2009

Federico's Supper Club

Hey all, sorry for the long hiatus as I had to take a break to study for my final exam so I'll try to make it up by having putting up a few more than usual reviews. Thanks for being patient yo.

Meal time : Saturday 8:00PM

My friend decided to celebrate her birthday here cause they had live entertainment, dancing and of course, good Italian food. Since we had a group of over 10, we had to select from a set menu which had about 3 selections for each course so there was some variety.
The scene of the singers and dancers with the dance floor. The floor itself is kind of small, maybe enough room for like 20 people? Unfortunately, way in the back hall in the top centre of the picture is where the washroom is so if you're on the other side (like we were), expect to waltz through to the washroom when you gotta go.

Our waiter, who reminded me of Frankenstein's hunchback assistant, was quite assertive and in-your-face. When we sat down, he remarked that it didn't look like we had enough room. We said we were fine and were within talking distance. Apparently, he didn't agree and started moving people's placements farther away and even moving some of us while we still seated. Perhaps he might need more room but the rest of us don't eat with our elbows on the table. Anyway...

Vitello Tonatto - thinly sliced veal loin with tuna aioli and capers - So... I guess this was good but not memorable. I don't normally like to eat veal though but it was the only appetizer with meat so I had no choice.

Linguine ai Frutti di Mare - linguine with fresh fish, shellfish, tomatoes and garlic - I didn't get to try it cause I don't like shellfish but my friend said it was so salty that she actually needed to take a sip of water after every bite. It was subsequently taken back into the kitchen where a new plate was made. By then, it was too late as her taste buds had already been "assalted" haha


Bistecca alla Griglia - grilled flat iron steak with juniper berries with sauteed vegetables. This was alright but like the veal, wasn't memorable. I did find the plate a tad small though.


Some kinda seafood pasta - sorry, I forgot the name and while going back to the menu, I was unable to locate it so it may have been a limited offering. My friend said it was good though.

Torta al Cloccolato - flourless chocolate cake - The first of 3 desserts I got to sample. It was extremely sweet. It was still good but my least fave of the 3.

Creme Brulee - i like creme brulee and this great, but not out of his world great. A bit more sweeter than I'd liked though. 2nd fave.

Tiramisu - I liked it a lot although as with the other 2 desserts, it was a little too sweet. If i had pick only one, it'd be the tiramisu.

The food was good but not awesome. The 3 course meal came out to be $40 without the 18% gratuity and taxes. For this alone, I wouldn't have thought it was worth it., especially the gratuity for the in your face server with the pompous attitude. However, likely the other part of the cost goes towards the entertainment.

I must say that Federico (the owner) is a great singer and entertainer. He's Italian but he also sung in Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese which was totally crazy and put my Chinese to shame. He was singing more of the classics although he did take a request to sing a black eyed peas song which was neat. Unfortunately, the time we came was also the same night that what appeared to be the mature Chinese singles dancing association and they took over the dance floor with their elegant moves. I was especially impressed with the pimpin' grandpa who appeared to have a whirl with all of the ladies. If only I could be as smooth as him in my senior years.



Federico's Supper Club
1728 Commercial Dr.
Vancouver BC, V5N 4A3
Tel. 604.251.3473
www.federicossupperclub.com
reservations recommended


No comments:

Post a Comment