Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hub Restaurant and Lounge

Located conveniently right in front of the Yaletown-Roundhouse skytrain station is Hub which used to be formerly known as Brown's Socialhouse. I've walked by this place a couple times and figured it was time to give it a shot.

I went here for lunch during a weekday and it was pretty dead but then again, I guess it's like that for most of Yaletown. It looks like your standard restaurant and bar. We sat at a table near the bar and you probably want to sit at the cushion side since the outer chairs are hard. One interesting thing I noted was that if you had on the outer chairs, you'd be facing away from the TVs but they had these glass panes on top of the cushion chairs so that you could watch the TV off the reflection but in a reverse kind of way.

Beef dip ~ $14 - the dish was ok. I'd say that if you were feeling like beef dip, then you should just go to Milestones instead since theirs is way better.


Crispy chicken club ~ $14 - my friend said that this was pretty good. I am not sure too what else to say about it myself.


Kobe meatball linguine ~ $18 - the picture is a little out of focus but anyway, pasta dish with 3 meatballs and a piece of garlic bread. I didn't try this so I can't form an opinion but on the other hand, I didn't hear my friend say "mmmmmm" while eating so take it for what it's worth.


Meat lovers pizza ~ $14 - the pizza was ok and a tad on the spicy side. My friend is a small girl who can't eat much so this was good for her, but for big, hungry guys, you wouldn't be full off of this.


Halibut fish and chips ~ $17 - I was debating between this and the seared tuna salad but eventually (and regrettably), this won out. The coleslaw was ok but the fish was terrible. If you've ever dipped your fried tempura into the tempura sauce, took it out and then ate it 10 minutes later, it would be gross since it'd be soggy. Well, that's what you'd get with this dish. No crispness, just sogginess and even worse, it was dry on the inside.


Rating - 5/10 - Maybe I'd go back to chill afterward since they have $6 appies from 4 to 6 but for main meals, I'd probably look elsewhere and that's mainly because my dish sucked but everyone else's was just ok. I think there are better restaurants around here but they just happen to be super close to the skytrain. One other thing is that if you'd like the waitresses to take a group pic of you, you're better off setting up your own because it's like they've never used a camera before. Harsh? Yes, but so were my fish and chips.



Hub Restaurant and Lounge
1165 Mainland Street

Vancouver, BC V6B5P2
Tel: 604-696-0400

No comments:

Post a Comment