Monday, August 16, 2010

Gohan Japanese Restaurant

So after a 3 month hunger strike, I have returned! I've passed by this place before and had been meaning to try it. The restaurant advertises itself as Japanese with a hint of Hawaiian flair so obviously, I just had to try it.

The place has a strange schedule:
lunch ~ M - F: 11 - 2:30, Sat: 11:30 - 2:30, closed Sunday
dinner ~ M - Th: 5 - 9, Fri - Sat: 5 - 9:30, closed Sunday

I went here on a Saturday at 6 and me and my guest were the only occupants for half an hour so not a lot of traffic. There is meter parking on the side but apparently, it is not in effect on weekends or weekdays after 6!

So the inside of the place is pretty nice and I like the cloths on the chairs. There is air conditioning and soft Asian music plays in the background. The waitress was very nice and accommodating. We asked for cold water and we received ice cold glasses with a little slice of lemon in it. I was very impressed with the beverages so let's get down to the food!


Gohan roll ~ $5 - think california roll with bits of fried tempura in the middle and there's your Gohan roll. The extra crunchiness is nice, comes with 5 pieces and let me just say that the roll is much larger than your standard roll but not as big as Samurai. As you can see, it is pretty stuffed and not just rice.


Deluxe holiday roll ~ $10.25 - with 8 pieces, this big badass comes with ebi tempura, avocado, imitation crab, scallop, tamago, masago and it's wrapped in lettuce and smoked salmon. It was truly awesome.



Sushi Pizza ~ $12.95


L: shrimp

R: imitation crab



This was the highlight of my dining experience and it was great. You get two pieces roughly the size of a personal size pan pizza. The bottom is rice and seaweed that's been deep fried and on top you get both the imitation crab and the tangy shrimp with a smoked salmon covering. Although both were great, I liked the shrimp one more. Did I mention that there is also tonkatsu sauce!?


Seafood papaya springroll ~ $9.95 - Inside of each of these are scallop, crab and shrimp with papaya and avocado. Beneath is papaya sauce for dipping. These were very good but oily. Unfortunately, we let this one sit for a while so it was a little soggy when we ate it.


Chicken locomoco on rice ~ 7.95 - rice bowl with vegetables, breaded chicken and vegetables. The locomoco is actually the sauce which is like a tangy ketchup. Since I like ketchup on most of my food, this was obviously awesome. It's quite fairly sized so you could be full eating this alone much less eating all of the above.

So would I come here again? I definitely would! I think it's great that there is a place like this in Burnaby and now I don't have to go all the way downtown for my Japanese fusion kick. Given all the food above, we obviously were unable to finish and when they packed up our food, they gave each food item its separate box instead of stuffing them all in a white styrofoam box. Even the leftover rolls came in a nice sushi box and even though that box would've went to the garbage, I thought it was a nice touch.

The food was excellent, the service was attentive, and the atmosphere great so there isn't really much I can complain about. Oh wait, they have weird hours.

My rating: 9/10



Gohan Japanese Restaurant
1815 Rosser Avenue
Burnaby, BC V5C 6R4
Tel: 604-205-5212

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, PHD! The review is great and the pictures make me hungry. Look forward to your next restaurant review! = )

    ReplyDelete