Thursday, November 11, 2010

Goldfish Pacific Kitchen

So I decided to head over to Goldfish Pacific Kitchen for the Taste of Yaletown. It's about a block away from the Yaletown-Roundhouse skytrain. For those that drive and want to park along Mainland, the meters are $2.00 for 40 minutes. If you've never parked along Mainland Street, it does get pretty tight.

So once you step in, Goldfish is pretty nice inside. It has a comfortable lounge and the big bar up front with TVs tuned to sporting events.

For seating, you've got your tables in the middle and the booths along the side. For what it's worth, the lights behind the booth do change color and it does offer a lot more privacy. I ended up sitting at a table and the chairs were comfortable.


For more variety, they even have the high chairs and you also get a glimpse into the kitchen. So overall, pretty cool and I do like the lights above the tables.

King Crab Tempura ~ ($6) - king crab tempura with avocado and bacon in it. Being that it was fried, it was most excellent. It's normally close to $19 so I imagine that if you got this regularly, you'd get at least 3 pieces but can't say for sure. Very good but pricey.


Tuna poke ~ ($6) - chopped ahi, scallop and hamachi with taro chips. It's bigger than it looks and is very refreshing and the taro chips are excellent. It's normally $14 so maybe you get 2? In terms of taste, I like the king crab more but this is a great dish which offers more value.


Bison Flat Iron Steak ~ ($25) - 6 oz. bison steak with coriander potatoes and broccolini. The steak was very good and tender. I'm not a big fan of broccolini but I liked the potatoes. It's normally $28 so what you see is what you get.


Creme Brulee ~ ($6) - it's infused with white chocolate and jasmine which is interesting and the tastes are very distinct. However, I'm more partial to the traditional creme brulee. Also note the neat goldfish they drew on the plate! Normally $8.

Chocolate lava cake ~ ($6) - lava cake with vanilla bean gelato seems to be a staple for desserts at most restaurant these days. It's a tad on the small side and I'd say I still prefer Joey's lava cake over every place I've had lava cake at. Also normally $8.

Banana spring rolls ~ ($8) - Not part of the normal dine out menu but too tantalizing to pass up (per our waitress' suggestion) are these warm banana spring rolls with hazelnut butter and pieces of lychee. It comes with two dips: caramel and creme anglaise but I found myself only using the caramel. Very good if not a rip off for 4 pieces of very yummy deep fried banana.


Overall: 8/10. The whole place is very nice with a great decor and atmosphere. It's quite big so it'd be great for parties. I had the dineout menu so all of the above (except the banana) cost $35 plus gratuity and tax. For most of these places, it's quality over quantity so I knew what to expect and while most places suck during Dine Out, it was very good here. It didn't look like a lot but I was quite full but at their regular prices, I find the cost to be a little steep. Our waitress was very friendly and prompt and I think it's always a nice touch when the owner/manager asks you if you're enjoying your dining experience. Goldfish is a place I'll go there for promotional dine outs or for parties, and while the value isn't quite there for regular dining relative to other nearby restaurants, I'd still check it out again.




Goldfish Pacific Kitchen
1118 Mainland Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2T9
604-689-8318


3 comments:

  1. Nice review PhD, so why is this place called Goldfish? I can't wait to see your December review^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry c h e e r i o s for the super late reply!

    it's called goldfish because they require all their employees to own a goldfish as a pet as the owner loves goldfish!


    j/k, i dunno!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an extraordinary answer! Did you see any real goldfish in the restaurant?

    ReplyDelete