Monday, May 10, 2010

The Naam

Located on the outskirts of the posh areas of Kitsilano lies this little hole in the wall known as the Naam. Personally, this place looks like it belongs on Hastings & Main. Anyway, it's open 24 hours, usually has lineups and is all vegetarian all the time. I'm for all eating healthy so I was a little intrigued by what this place had to offer. As with most other Kits restaurants, parking is on the streets but since it's not as commercialized, parking is free. After waiting 45 minutes, we finally got in and there isn't much room to stand in line inside the place so make sure you assign a designated spot holder. From the outside, the place looks a little sketchy and it's not much better inside. It was packed and busy so I didn't want to take any pics but picture yourself sitting inside a rustic European house in the countryside with strange pictures and fabrics hanging on the wall... kinda like the gypsies. Alternatively, I also thought I was in a hippie's house. So the waitress took our order and 45 minutes later......

Gold Dragon bowl ~ $9.95 - Naam fries, cheese, miso gravy, steamed vegetables, sprouts, carrots and deep fried tofu. The fries and tofu were on the very bottom and were soggy and gross by the time I got to them. The miso gravy is good in moderation but when your whole bowl is drenched in it, it's not that good. I felt like a sheep while I was munching on my alfalfa sprouts and raw vegetables. Except that for a sheep, it's free to eat grass. I can't believe I waited 45 minutes for raw vegetables and soggy potatoes.
Cashew & Avocado Enchilada ~ $10.95 - grilled veggies, cashews and avocado wrapped in an organic corn tortilla with salsa, yogurt and cheese. When I saw this dish, I wish I had ordered it cause it reminded me of lasagna and sure looked more appetizing than my dish. To the right of it is the Naam salad, a cornucopia of raw vegetables which is $6 on the menu....

Maui-Maui Burger ~ $8.95 - comes with mushrooms, water chestnuts and pineapple with teriyaki sauce and Naam fries. I didn't get to actually try this but my friend said it was good. This was my second choice and I wish I got it too... only because I didn't like my dish. Also, when dry, the Naam fries are alright. Well... I guess they taste like any other unsalted potato wedge.

Thai noodles ~ $11.50 - green & red peppers, onion, tofu, sprouts, red cabbage, garlic, ginger, peanuts and stir-fried noodles. This was an okay dish but I personally wouldn't order Asian food from a non-Asian place (unless it's the tuna tataki from Cactus Club). Also, since this is a vegetarian place, it's not as tasty or flavorful compared to if you ordered it elsewhere.

So overall, it was quite the experience but I can't say that I'm itching to go back. The service was up (they constantly filled our water glasses) and down (too few servers for such a busy establishment). My friend also ordered a fruit smoothie and specifically asked for the fruit contents. Once she got it, she had a sip and said she tasted kiwi and asked the waitress cause she was allergic to kiwi. The waitress said she forgot and acted nonchalant about it and took it away. At least she didn't charge her for it but not cool. The food? Well, the portions were quite large but yet, you probably wouldn't feel satisfied. Upon finishing our meal, we usually have dessert but this time, all I really wanted was some meat.


Rating - 5. It's probably because I couldn't fathom the idea of being a vegan so I am extremely bias but I won't be returning anytime soon. I feel like I'm in a barn being fed like a farm animal except I am paying for it.

The Naam
2724 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6K1R1
Tel: 604-738-7151
The Naam

3 comments:

  1. LOL dude! yea I can imagine that you were so unhappy eating your dish and staring at other ppls dish... poor dude. But hey are there any restaurants that you will definitely go back? Let us know those restaurants as well =P But appreciate your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i'll definitely try to put up some more positive reviews that don't show off my bias =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Naam.. Their food is just great! :D

    Nantaka

    ReplyDelete